Yup, lemons are pretty much AMAZING! They are just pure HAPPINESS for me.
No wonder because lemons have some pretty AWESOME health benefits.
Benefits of Warm Lemon Water
- Balances pH – Lemons are acidic, but when metabolized inside the body they become alkaline. Interesting, huh? An alkaline body (eating whole real foods like veggies and fruit) equals a happy and healthy body. While an acidic body (eating processed food like fast food) equals a not so happy and inflamed body.
- Helps with Hunger Cravings and Weight Loss – Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. SO, totally amazing! As someone who tends to overeat, I can say for a fact that it helps with my hunger cravings, which results in me eating less. Heck ya! So, start your day right and continue sipping away throughout the day.
- Aids Digestion – Stimulates stomach acid production to help break down your food and loosening toxins in the GI tract. Also, it helps relieve symptoms of indigestion such as bloating. I’ve had plenty of warm lemon water and/or raw apple cider vinegar, just for this reason. It works wonders in getting things moving and out of our system ;)
- Boost Immune System – Lemons are high in vitamin C. In the 1970s, Nobel Prize-winning Linus Pauling promoted mega-dosing on vitamin C for health benefits, including prevention of the common cold and reducing the risk of infection and cancer. Keep in mind that vitamin C tanks when you’re stressed out, so you definitely want to increase your intake during those moments.
- Reduces Inflammation – It removes uric acid in your joints, which causes inflammation.
- Energy Boost – Lemon juice gives you a pow-pow energy boost, while helping to reduce anxiety and depression. Just the scent of lemons has a calming effect on our nervous system. Hence why lemons are pure happiness to me. Might even make you want to sing “Happy” by Pharrell ;)
As you can see, it is a no brainer why I have incorporated lemons into my daily routine by creating the Zesty Lemon Delight.
Within 30 minutes of waking up and on a empty stomach, I have the Zesty Lemon Delight. Wakes your body up to pure happiness and you might find that you don’t even need coffee *gasp* (I know hah). While it gets my stomach acid going, I get my breakfast ready. Then throughout the day I continue to have my Zesty Lemon Delight, especially after heavy meals. I pretty much replace drinking my plain and boring water with this yummy-ness.
I can attest to my body not feeling that peppy when I have neglected drinking my Zesty Lemon Delight. Don’t just take my word for it, DO IT! Try it out for 10 days and see how your body will thank you. Cheers to new healthy habits!
How to Make Zesty Lemon Delight
- Heat approximately 16 ounces of mountain spring water or filtered water in a tea kettle (yes, kettle > microwave). The water temperature should be warm, NOT hot. That way you won’t kill the live enzymes in the lemons or burn your tongue.
- Squeeze one organic lemon into a cup.
- Add a pinch of unrefined sea salt for trace minerals.
- Add grated organic lemon peel for pow-pow flavor and loads of amazing phytonutrients. I suggest skipping this step if you’re not using organic lemons, as most of the pesticide residues are in the skin.
- Optional – I mix it up by adding: raw honey, raw/unfiltered apple cider vinegar, mint, ginger, turmeric, or cayenne.
- Have the Zesty Lemon Delight several times throughout the day, especially after heavy meals (try to wait an hour after eating) or even before bed.
- Store your lemons in the fridge, they last longer.
- Although lemons help with bacteria in the mouth, if you have sensitive teeth use a glass straw (plastic straws have BPAs).
- Traveling? It’s easy to just throw some lemons in your luggage or buy a bag of it once you’re at your destination.
Now my question to you:
Have any wonderful lemon water recipes or tips to share? I would love to hear from you! Leave me a comment and let me know.