Yes, that’s right. You are literally throwing away something that is so valuable and you don’t even know it!
Haha, YES – this girl just said banana peels! I know, crazy talk. I use to think the same thing. But banana peels, and the skin, rinds, and seeds of some fruits are loaded with ridiculously amazing amounts of phytonutrients. Hence why I grate the lemon peel into my Zesty Lemon Delight.
Did you know?
- Banana peels contain TRYPTOPHAN, which INCREASES SEROTONIN levels to boost your mood into awesomeness and can ease depression.
- Has INSOLUBLE FIBER, which adds bulk to your stool to help keep your GI tract moving and eliminating.
- Has SOLUBLE FIBER, which forms a gel that slows digestion and the absorption of glucose to help keep you fuller longer.
Thankfully, we don’t have to go hardcore cave(wo)man style and eat it straight up! We got technology to save us and make life so easy-peasy. So, bust out those high-performance blenders whose horsepower just tear that sucker apart like there is no tomorrow.
I know you’re still skeptical. Even knowing how amazing high-performance blender are, I was also still skeptical. It just has to be too good to be true, right? How can we just throw in the whole peel and not even taste them? All logical questions.
So do what I did, take baby steps.
- Put a small piece of the banana peel into your smoothie.
- Blend it up.
- Taste it.
- Still taste good? Add more and more, until it is the whole peel.
That simple! I literally ended up putting in the whole peel in no time.
- Please remember when using the peels, skins, and rinds of fruit to BUY ORGANIC since most of the pesticide residues are in the skin.
- WASH the skin of the fruit.
- The RIPER the banana (all brown with spots), the thinner and TASTIER the skin of the banana.
- I chop off and throw away the ends of the bananas, I am not that hardcore yo :)
Want to go even more bananas?
Then give these a go as well. I am not quite there yet, but I will add them in one day.
- Orange peels
- Watermelon rinds, peels off the green skin and use the white rind
- Pineapple cores
- Watermelon seeds
- Papaya seeds
Now my question to you:
Do you eat your banana peels? How about any other fruit skin, rinds, seeds, or peels? What are you favorite ways of eating them? I would love to hear from you! Leave me a comment and let me know.